English Spanish

(562) 494-1010

Abused/Battered Spouse

How a Person Can Self-Petition for a Green Card Under VAWA

Abused/Battered Spouse Under the Violence Against Women's Act (VAWA)

VAWA was created to help victims of domestic abuse to remain in the Unites States by giving them the ability to seek adjustment of status to a Lawful Permanent Resident. You may self-petition for permanent resident status in the United States, even if you are in unlawful status. If you qualify, we will assist you in proving your case. You must be able to show:

(1) Proof of your relationship

(2) Proof of spouse's US citizenship or permanent residency

(3) Proof you are currently residing in the United States

(4) Proof you have resided in the United States with the Citizen or LPR spouse

(5) Proof you have been battered by the spouse during the marriage

(6) Proof you are a person of good moral character

(7 ) Proof you entered into the marriage in good faith

Our office will guide you and assist you in the collection of the necessary evidence. If you feel that you may qualify under these rules, please contact our office to discuss your case in complete confidentiality.

(562) 494-1010

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

The Law Office of Janis Peterson-Lord is located in Long Beach, CA and serves clients in and around Long Beach, Hawaiian Gardens, Artesia, Harbor City, Wilmington, Cerritos, Bellflower, San Pedro, Carson, Paramount, Compton, Norwalk, Woodland Hills, Torrance, Lynwood, Santa Fe Springs, South Gate, Gardena, Bell, Huntington Park, Pico Rivera, Maywood, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, Orange County.


Immigration Lawyer Long Beach

1383 Redondo Avenue Suite Two.
Long Beach, CA 90804
(562) 494-1010