English Spanish

(562) 494-1010




The U visa is a Non-Immigrant, Temporary Visa for Victims of Certain Crimes
Allows a non-United States citizen crime victim, who has suffered substantial physical or mental abuse resulting from certain forms of criminal activity and who cooperates in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity, to remain in the United States for up to four years.

Click here for more information...


You May Self petition for Permanent Residency (Green Card) as an Abused/Battered Spouse Under the Violence Against Women's Act (VAWA)

VAWA was created to help victims of domestic abuse to remain in the Unites States by giving them the ability to seek adjustment of status to a Lawful Permanent Resident. You may self-petition for permanent resident status in the United States, even if you are in unlawful status. If you qualify, we will assist you in proving your case.

To be eligible to file a self-petition (an application that you file for yourself for immigration benefits) you must qualify under one of the following categories:

  • Spouse: You may self-petition if you are a battered spouse married to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. Unmarried children under the age of 21, who have not filed their own self-petition, may be included on your petition as derivative beneficiaries.
  • Parent: You may self-petition if you are the parent of a child who has been abused by your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse. Your children (under 21 years of age and unmarried), including those who may not have been abused, may be included on your petition as derivative beneficiaries, if they have not filed their own self-petition.
  • Child: You may self-petition if you are a battered child (under 21 years of age and unmarried) who has been abused by your U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident parent.

You must be able to show:

(1) Proof of your relationship

(2) Proof of spouse's US citizenship or permanent residency

(3) Proof you are currently residing in the United States

(4) Proof you have resided in the United States with the Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident spouse

(5) Proof you have been battered by the spouse during the marriage

(6) Proof you are a person of good moral character

(7 ) Proof you entered into the marriage in good faith

Our office will guide you and assist you in the collection of the necessary evidence.  If you feel that you may qualify under these rules, please contact our office to discuss your case in complete confidentiality.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

The Law Office of Janis Peterson-Lord is located in Long Beach, CA and serves clients in and around Long Beach, Hawaiian Gardens, Artesia, Harbor City, Wilmington, Cerritos, Bellflower, San Pedro, Carson, Paramount, Compton, Norwalk, Woodland Hills, Torrance, Lynwood, Santa Fe Springs, South Gate, Gardena, Bell, Huntington Park, Pico Rivera, Maywood, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, Orange County.


Immigration Lawyer Long Beach

1383 Redondo Avenue Suite Two.
Long Beach, CA 90804
(562) 494-1010