English Spanish

(562) 494-1010


M-1 Privileges

  • You may come to the U.S. as a full-time vocational or nonacademic student enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certificate.
  • You can transfer from one school to another.
  • You may work legally in a part-time job on campus. You may also get permission to work off campus in a job that is considered practical training for your field of study.
  • You may travel in and out of the U.S. or remain there until the completion of your studies, up to a maximum of one year. If you have not completed your program in a year or less, you must apply for an extension.
  • Visas are available for accompanying relatives.

M-1 Limitations

  • You are restricted to attending only the specific school for which your visa has been currently approved. You can transfer from one school to another only if you apply for and receive permission from INS to do so. Once you are six months into the program of studies, you are prohibited from transferring at all except under truly exceptional circumstances.
  • You are never permitted to change your course of study.
  • You may not work legally off campus without special permission.
  • Accompanying relatives may stay in the U.S., but they may not work.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

The Law Office of Janis Peterson-Lord is located in Long Beach, CA and serves clients in and around Long Beach, Hawaiian Gardens, Artesia, Harbor City, Wilmington, Cerritos, Bellflower, San Pedro, Carson, Paramount, Compton, Norwalk, Woodland Hills, Torrance, Lynwood, Santa Fe Springs, South Gate, Gardena, Bell, Huntington Park, Pico Rivera, Maywood, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, Orange County.


Immigration Lawyer Long Beach

1383 Redondo Avenue Suite Two.
Long Beach, CA 90804
(562) 494-1010