English Spanish

(562) 494-1010

  • Home

Family-based Immigration Attorney Long Beach

Family Immigration Lawyer Long BeachAt the Long Beach Law Office of Janis Peterson-Lord, we welcome the opportunity to bring families together through the many aspects of family-based immigration, from family-based immigrant visas to fiancé(e) visas to in-state and international adoptions, and more. While there are often many options available, choosing the right path is often critical to success. Our family immigration lawyer Long Beach takes the time to understand your needs and use our knowledge and experience to help you achieve your goals in the most efficient manner.

Family-Based Petitions for Spouses, Children Parents, and Siblings

Knowing the proper procedure to file is essential to the success of a family-based petition. Many factors influence how immigrant visa petitions are treated, such as the precise family relationship involved, the status of the petition as a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, and the preference given to the petition, if any. Understanding these factors is critical to bringing in family members whose numbers are otherwise severely limited by the strict quota system currently in place.

We help U.S. citizens and permanent residents bring over family members through the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative process.

Fiance(e) Visas

The law allows an individual to travel to the United States on a visa to marry a U.S. citizen, but only after providing a large volume of documentation, including a satisfactory medical examination and proof of financial support. After the marriage, which should take place within 90 days after arriving in the country, the immigrant spouse may apply for permanent residency through a proceeding to adjust status.

We help future spouses obtain a K-1 nonimmigrant visa from their U.S. Embassy or Consulate and file the I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e).


When a marriage described above doesn't work out, the residency status of the immigrant spouse may be in danger. We help the divorcing spouse to maintain his or her permanent residence by filing a waiver of the joint filing request with the I-751 Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence.

I-751 Waiver of the Joint filing Requirement to Request Removal of Conditions on Residency

There are certain situations in which a conditional resident may not be able to depend on their spouse to help their file the Form I-751, Application to Remove the Conditions on Residence.

The conditional resident may apply for an I-751 waiver of the joint filing requirement by filing the Form I-751 alone(indicating that requesting waiver of joint filing requirement called an "I-751 Waiver" if they can show:
• That they entered into the marriage in good faith, but that the marriage was terminated in
divorce; and/or
• That they entered into the marriage on good faith, but the married was terminated due to the
death of the United State Citizen spouse; and/or
• That they entered into the marriage in good faith, and that she was subjected to physical
battering and/or extreme mental cruelty; and/or
• That they would suffer extreme hardship if returned to her country of origin.


Completing an international adoption is a complicated process that involves a detailed review of the adopting parents and the home environment, including home visits and in-person interviews. We help families through California adoption procedures as well as international adoptions utilizing Form I-800A, I-800, I-600 and 600A, depending upon the child's country of origin and whether that country is a member of the Hague Convention on Inter-country Adoption.

Comprehensive Family-Based Immigration Services

We help noncitizens who have been the subject of spousal abuse petition for lawful permanent residence in the U.S. through the Violence Against Women Act and the Battered Immigrant Women's Protection Act, or to obtain legal status through a U-visa. We help spouses, sons and daughters who have been living illegally in the U.S. to acquire permanent residency through waivers of inadmissibility. When USCIS or State Department delays have caused minor children to age out of immigration benefits, we look to the Child Status Protection Act to retain the person's eligibility and application status.

Whatever your needs are for family-based immigration services, our office is here to help. Whether you are in Long Beach, California or anywhere in the United States or around the world, contact the Law Office of Janis Peterson-Lord for personal, professional assistance from a qualified, capable, and experienced immigration lawyer.

Call a family immigration Attorney Long Beach or a family immigration lawyer Long Beach today at (562) 494-1010 or email us for your confidential consultation.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

The Law Office of Janis Peterson-Lord is located in Long Beach, CA and serves clients in and around Long Beach, Hawaiian Gardens, Artesia, Harbor City, Wilmington, Cerritos, Bellflower, San Pedro, Carson, Paramount, Compton, Norwalk, Woodland Hills, Torrance, Lynwood, Santa Fe Springs, South Gate, Gardena, Bell, Huntington Park, Pico Rivera, Maywood, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, Orange County.


Immigration Lawyer Long Beach

1383 Redondo Avenue Suite Two.
Long Beach, CA 90804
(562) 494-1010